Water – An Essentiality
Why Is Water Called Elixir ?
Water is the most important component for sustaining life. Up to 60% of the human adult body is water. According to H.H. Mitchell, Journal of Biological Chemistry 158, the brain and heart are composed of 73% water, and the lungs are about 83% water. The skin contains 64% water, muscles and kidneys are 79%, and even the bones are watery: 31%. No organism can survive without it so it is an Elixir indeed.
We all consume it in one way or another but are we taking it in right quantity and in the right way ?
The Right Quantity ?
The need of water varies from body to body with an average consumption of 6-8 glasses per day. But it depends more on someone’s metabolism and physiology than on physical appearance.
Benefits Of Drinking Water
When it comes to satiation, water is first thing which hits us all but along with it. Water has got countless health benefits, some of them are :
- It keeps the skin hydrated, youthful and glowing. Retaining it’s elasticity, thereby repairing the damaged cells hence prevents pre mature ageing.
- Maintains the cell metabolism.
- The blood buffer system remains at spec with adequate consumption of water.
- Regulates the renal functions, the first choice for treating any renal infection or disorder comes along consumption of water.
- The process of Detoxification of whole body is carried out by water.
- It’s important for proper digestive system hence aids digestion.
- The gut peristalsis is well conducted if enough water is consumed, hence prevents constipation and allows smooth bowel movements.
- Keeps the blood pressure in moderation.
- Regulates body’s homeostasis.
- Promotes weight loss.
Consuming Water “The Right Way”
Water needs to be consumed according to the needs of the individual body. It depends on one’s built, metabolism, needs and moreover the health profile.
The way of drinking water in one way can be helpful to one person and unsuitable for another. Hence, prime important is to understand your body needs.
Luke Warm Vs Hot Water
Luke Warm Water
Luke warm water, when consumed empty stomach gives a kick to the body’s metabolism, detoxifies and cleans the whole system hence aids weight loss.
According To Ayurveda : People with Vata and Kapha prakriti, should consume Luke-warm water as It fires up the Digestive power and hence prevents many diseases as most of the diseases originate from gut only; as opined by ancient medical scholars.
Luke warm water is also proven to have miraculous effects on the skin.
Hot Water :
Hot water consumed after 30 mins of meals digests all sort of food frequently in healthy individuals.
But, it is contraindicated in people suffering from :
- Stomach or duodenal ulcerations
- Hyper acidosis
- Emaciated and weak individuals
The Way To Train Your Body
Switching from normal to Luke warm water, may cause nausea initially, in such cases one needs not to jump from normal water to hot water consumption.
First start consuming water slightly Luke warm, consume it for 10 days, then start increasing temperature slightly and your body will be soon ready to enjoy the miraculous benefits of hot water.
“Remember, health can’t be a manifestation of a single day.”
Normal Water Vs Cold Water
Normal water produces the maximum satiation, it is best for the people who perform more physical activity, as it nourishes the body and tissues and yields more energy.
It is recommended for the people having Pitta prakriti as their digestive power is extremely high.
It controls the appetite and is beneficial on hyperthyroidism. Patients suffering from hypertension, hot flashes, burning micturition, dyspnea etc. should consume it.
It should but be replaced by hot water by patients suffering from :
- Metabolic disorders
- Cough etc.
Water And Meals !
Water acts differently with respect to the timings of meals.
Water – before meals
- Produces the feeling of fulness
- Reduces appetite
- Prevents weight gain
Water with meals
- Helps proper mixing and churning of food
- Ignites the digestive power, hence aids digestion
Water immediately after meals
- Hampers digestion
- Reduces digestive power
- Results in weight gain
Water is hence needed to be consumed wisely according to your specific needs and metabolism.
At last, it is recommended to :
- Always carry it when moving outside
- Drink water 30 mins before the meals & 30 mins after the meals
- Drink before starting a task
- Drink Half an hour after the workouts
- Drink Before going to sleep, and
- Anytime and anywhere you feel
We are all unique in our own way, so no standard ways can be settled up by any individual.
Give time to your self, introspect, watch your bodily responses and decide what goes the best to you. Keep loving yourself, drink plenty of water and stay healthy because you are important as you sustain the world !
And stay fit with The Herbal Doc !
The Ayurvedic References are taken from [Charak Samhita Su. 27]
Article/Blog Written by : Rupali Salgotra
[The author is currently an Ayurveda Scholar at GAMC-Jammu]
Have any query ? Contact Us